Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Personal Essay

 The way a person handles disappointment reveals a great deal about what is important to him or her. Tell about a time in your life when you confronted disappointment and how you handled it

One thing that is certain in life is that nothing is ever guaranteed. In certain situations, carefully thought out plans are not always full proof, due to life’s unpredictability. Everyone has encountered a situation in which things did not go according to plan, and I am no exception. When life throws a curve ball, it is only natural to be disappointed. For example, I had plans on attending a party for weeks and things did not go accordingly on the evening of the event.

It was Saturday afternoon and my best friend’s 16th birthday party was this evening. I was greatly anticipating this evening for a while and I was almost certain that I would be going. As far as I was concerned, there was no way possible that I was going to miss out on this party. I was promised on several occasions that I would be there for certain. I sat on the couch and waited for a couple of minutes. Before I knew it, minutes turned into hours. I tried to be as optimistic as I could, but I knew that this evening was not going to go as planned. I got a phone call to confirm what I already knew. I asked my uncle if he would take me, but I would not be able to get a ride back from him. Eventually, I decided to call it a night. I washed off my make-up, put on my pajamas, and lay in my bed, listening to the silence around me. I did not know what came over me, but I decided not to let this ruin my night. If I was not able to go the party, I would bring the party here. I put on the radio and danced all night as if I was there with all of my peers.

Life is similar to Pandora’s box; you never know what you’re going to get. With that being said, it is important to catch every obstacle that comes your way and turn it into something positive. Although I was not able to attend the party, I did not let it ruin the rest of my evening. The way I handled this situation shows that I am the type of person who never lets life get me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment