Friday, November 26, 2010

A Better Community

The environment that I grew up in would not be described as glamorous or underprivileged, in my opinion. Like most societies, it comes with pros and cons, but it is up to us to decide which path we want to take. That is why the greatest influence a child has is their family. I am proud to say that my family has motivated me to continue the path to success and knowledge.
   
Ever since I was a small child, I knew that attending college was nothing to be negotiated; it was mandatory. My parents often stressed the importance of performing well in school. They did their best to make sure that I was a well-rounded student and they continue to do so today. With such a motivational upbringing, I have learned to go beyond the requirements and strive to overachieve. My dream is not only to attend college and receive an AA Degree, but also to continue in the major of my choice until I earn a PHD. I understand that this is not something that can be achieved overnight, but with hard work and dedication, I am confident that I can make it happen.
   
Some will blame their environment for their behavior. But, as I said before, each place has a negative shadow and a positive light. With love and support from the people you love or even just from yourself, anyone has the opportunity to achieve greatness. I will continue to reach for what some may consider the unreachable. A dream only dies when you stop believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment