Sunday, November 7, 2010

Impulsive Shopper

Hello, my name is Lydia O’Harris. Recently, I had to file bankruptcy because I was an impulsive buyer. It is difficult to recall the time when my bad had began, but I suppose the best place to begin is when I got my first credit card. My mother and father gave me my first credit card when I was 15. They told me I had a limit, but it was something about that gold card that made me feel like money was no object. Ever since that day, I’ve maintained this feeling of invisibility. I never had to pay the bills and my mother and father never told me if I went over the limit. But, they eventually cut me off.

Although I had a prosperous career, which allowed me not to worry about money, it was still different knowing that I would be paying for everything I bought. Pretty soon, the bills started piling up more and more, my house became cluttered with things I didn’t even remember buying. I saw all of this, but I did not really SEE it, I that makes sense. I could not see past what I wanted, not realizing that what I really wanted, was not what I needed. I often asked myself, “How can someone who makes so much money in one year, lose everything?” I lost my home, my “hot buys”, my cars, everything. This is when I truly woke up. Although my wake up call was long over due, it came and I thank God for that.

I still have my job and I am starting over with a clean slate. I am just so happy to be free and I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. So, once again, I’m Lydia, I was an impulsive shopper, and I am not anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment