Saturday, November 27, 2010

Family History

As an American, it can be very easy to forget where one really comes from. Although America is a melting pot culture, full of different races and ethnicities, it is extremely easy to get swept up into the American lifestyle. For example, many “Caucasians” or “Blacks” have a history from other foreign countries, but we have all seemed to just fall under one umbrella. Preserving family history is something that everyone should always try to do because if that history is lost, then it is truly gone. With that being said, I created a scenario in which I would be meeting my great great great grandmother and she would be able to tell me about where the family comes from.

One afternoon, I was sitting down in my best Sunday dress, greatly anticipating her arrival. I was meeting my great great grandmother and I could not have been more thrilled. I had so many questions written on a piece of paper that she may have known the answers to.

1)      Do you know our African roots? If so, what country in Africa did we come from?
2)      Who were the first people to start our family?
3)      Were you born into slavery? If so, what was I like?
4)      Supposedly, we are part Jewish. Where did this bloodline start?
5)      Does our family have any affiliation with Native Americans?
6)      Where did our secret family recipes come from?
7)      What was it like growing up in the south?
When did our family move from Kansas?

No comments:

Post a Comment