Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Memoir of a Student

People often say “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Describe a time when you misjudged someone based on his or her appearance or when someone misjudged you.

It was an afternoon like any other at Franklin D. Andrent middle school. It was sixth period and Ms. Pallace requested that Medina and I deliver a message to Ms. Tigs. I was very hesitant, but I did not want to be defiant so I followed my teacher’s orders. I knew that the kids in that class would be very judgmental. I knew this for certain because it occurred very often. I came to school everyday with messy hair and baggy clothes, which was not how most of the other kids in my grade dressed, and they didn’t let me forget it. I was afraid to enter the classroom because I did not want to be ridiculed.

I walked into the classroom trying to appear like I was invincible. If it were up to me I would rather be def just for those few minutes. I walked to the front of the classroom, along with my classmate, to Ms. Tigs’s desk. The laughter began. Once again, I found myself to be the topic of someone else’s comedy routine. One person was in my defense, and I was quite surprised. But, it was one person against many. Either way, I was glad that someone defended me because I was too afraid to defend myself. With every laugh and every joke, my confidence went down dramatically. I tried to make it seem like I could not hear them, but I heard every word. Some may call this dramatic, but their words literally put a pain to my chest. I could not wait to get out of there. Finally, we left and I could not be more relieved.

When we returned to Ms. Pallace’s class, my attempt to act like nothing was wrong and that nothing happened, failed me. I told my friend what happened and before I knew it, tears were rolling down my face. My teacher saw that I was crying and asked me what was wrong. She gave me words of encouragement and assured me that everything was going to be fine. I did believe her and I knew that one day I would stop caring about what others said about me, but today was not that day.

1 comment: