Monday, September 13, 2010

My Journey On A Pirate Ship

   It was a bright Saturday afternoon at the beach. The air was cool, the sand beneath my feet was warm and the waves were at a steady motion. It was one of those Southern California days that you only see in the movies. Jamell, Savannah, and I couldn't have picked a more perfect day to hang out together. We were splashing along the shore, frolicking in the cool waters. Suddenly, a huge shadow was casted over us.

"Hey, what happened to the sun?" I asked. Savannah and Jamell appeared to be in shock.Their eyes grew wide and their jaws hit the floor.
"What is wrong with you guys?" Still no response. Whatever they saw had to be something terrible, unbelievable, or awesome. I finally turned around and my eyes grew large, as well. It was a tall wooden ship with dingy sails and cannons. The ship appeared to be in terrible shape. Before I knew it, we were standing face to face with pirates.

"Would you be Sierra, Jamell, and Savannah?"the man asked. He had a caramel skin complexion, dread locks, a thick beard, and a few piercings. He smelled like he hadn't showered in months. I didn't want to be rude so I acted as if I wasn't phased by the repulsive sent.

"Yes. I am Sierra, this is Jamell and this is Savannah."

"I'm Captain Mindler de Poss and this is me crew." Perhaps you'd be interested in accompanyin me and me crew for the afternoon."

"Give us a minute." Savannah replied while pulling me away.

"What is your problem?" I asked.

"Sierra are you crazy? We shouldn't do this. Are you nuts!"

"Savannah we've never done anything like this in our entire lives. You're only in town for one week. Don't you want to say that we did something that we've never done, that only we'd know about?"

"Jamell tell her she's crazy."

"Believe it or not, I actually think this can be sort of fun" he replied.

She looked at both of us in disbelief. I smile slowly grew on her face.

"Fine. Let's go."

We all ran to de Poss and his crew He could tell from our bright smiles that we were coming on board. He helped us on the endless ladder that led to the deck. Once we reached the top, it was as if we had entered a real pirate movie. The ship was filled with the sounds of accordions, and flutes, all carried by the tune of one hundred men singing.
  Yo ho yo ho the pirate life on sea
  Yo ho yo ho the pirate life for me

"Welcome to the SS Blood Beard," said Captain de Poss. The crew hoisted the anchor and we set sail. I didn't know what I had gotten us in to. But, whatever it was, had to be like nothing nay of us had ever experienced.


PART 2
Jamell, Savannah, and I quickly caught on to the chant. We were singing and dancing with the rest of the crew. The music finally ended in laughter and cheers. We were laughing so hard that we fell over.

"Chow time!" I crew member yelled.

The entire crew rushed down to the second floor. We never had a formal tour so I assumed this was the dining area. I expected our meal to be gruel with a side of hard bread. The smell of gumbo began to disperse across the entire ship. We all began to follow our noses instead of the other crew members. We stumbled upon a table big enough for the three of us. There was already three large bowls of food waiting. We had no utensils or napkins and I wouldn't want to ask if there would be any coming.

"Wait me laddies. The captain always gives a speech before dinner," another crew member said.

De Passo stood on a pedestal in the center of the dining room. The entire room fell silent.

"Let's give a toast to our guests Savannah, Jamell, and Sierra." Everyone cheered and clanked their glasses together.

"I am so glad we did this," Jamell said.
"Yeah, me too," said Savannah.
All I could do was smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment