Thursday, September 23, 2010

Do You Think A Monkey Would Make A Good Pet?

   Monkeys or gorillas are genetically the closest animals to humans. Although they may be very close, they are still wild animals. A monkey has the potential of being a good pet, but I personally would not want that particular animal as a pet. There have been several cases in which wild animals have turned on their trainer or owner so I'd rather not take my chances. Even if they are very well trained and behave, monkeys eventually become more belligerent.
   I researched Michael Jackson's pet, which I presumed to be one of the most well-trained, well-behaved primates. Much to my surprise, Bubbles became very aggressive over a period of time. In my creative writing class, some of the students mentioned a primate who ripped off his owner's face. I was very surprised and disgusted that an animal can be so violent. But, I had to remind myself, this is a naturally wild animal, after all.
   I am not trying to make it seem as if having a monkey as a pet is unwise choice. But, if you do choose to have a monkey as a pet, be very cautious and look out for signs of potentially violent behavior. Every should march to the beat of their own drum, but when it comes to have a monkey as a pet, I have no beat.

1 comment: