Saturday, September 11, 2010

Describe One Time When You Were Brave

What truly defines bravery is when a person shows strength and couragesness during a time of fear. I can recall a time when I set my fears aside to ensure my sister's safety. I was unaware of what the true definition of bravery was. But, in that moment, I learned that bravery is not defined by being fearless, but by opportunity.
My family had just moved to a house in East L.A. Much to our suprise, the home came with unwanted visitors; mice. Whenever they appeared, my mother and step father would usully take care of the situation. The thought of killing a mouse never entered my mind. I knew that my parents would come to my aid, if ever I needed them. Once, they could not come to my rescue.

My sister and I were in our room watching television, one afternoon. My step father was at work and my mother was tending to my youngest sister. Everyone's hands were tied, except mine. I stepped out of my room to go to my mother's across the hall, leaving my sister in her crib. She hated to be left alone, but I would only be gone for a moment. 'What's the worst that could happen?' I thought. My sister began to cry as she usually did, when I left the room. But, her cry grew louder and more fearful, so I hurried back. I was greeted by a fury visitor.
"Mom!" I cried. "There is a mouse at the door!"
"Kill it!" she yelled.
"But, mom I can't."
"Sierra, I can't do it, you have to."

There was nothing that I could think of. so I looked around frantically. The only thing I saw were my rollerskates and umbrella. I ran to the couch, put on my skates and grabbed my umbrella. The "no skates in the house" rule was irrelevant at this point. WACK! I began to hit the mouse until it stopped moving. I grabbed my sister abd ran to my mother's room.

I never planned on conquering my fears that day. It was a scary experience not only for me, but for my sister, as well. I was happy that I could save her abd proud that I put my fears aside. I knew what I meant to be brave.

2 comments: