Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Bat Who Couldn't Fly

 Once upon a time there was a bat named Kino. Kino and his family were fruit bats and their family's favorite thing to do was fly. For some reason, he never showed much interest in flying. Whenever his brother Drian and sister Kora went to stretch their wings, he'd always dangle from a near by tree and wait for them to return. No one gave Kino's behavior much thought until the upcoming fruit festival. The whole village was gathering berries from the local farms while he helped with the decorations.

"You know Kino, I don't think I've ever seen you fly before," Kora said.
"Yeah!" Drian interjected.
"Well, I think that walking is better for you anyway," Kino replied.
"Alright then, but it won't hurt you to fly just once," Kora persisted.
"I don't want to.
"Too late!" Drian said as he pushed Kino off the edge of the log. He came tumbling down the large tree until Kora swooped him up and brought him back to the house.

"Kino, what happened?" his sister asked.
"I can't fly okay," he replied while turning his face away in shame.
"Look, Drian was wrong for pushing and if I would've known the truth I wouldn't have put you on the spot like that. I'm sorry."
"It's okay. You were always much more understanding than Drain. Do you think you could teach me to fly?"
"Well of course I can."

So the lessons began. They started out with flight formations. Kora taught Kino every angle and position from landing to gliding, before he took flight. Better safe then sorry, she thought. A few weeks later, it was time for Kino to take flight.
"Alright Kino just remember what I taught you," Kora yelled out.
"You can do it K.O!" Drain shouted.
He finally let go and began flying. Kino smiled and laugh the entire time. He couldn't believe he could fly. It was nothing he had ever experienced before.

No comments:

Post a Comment